File Returns and Reports with TTB: Helpful Hints and Tips
This page offers quick tips and helpful hints in completing common tasks or reporting required information. Be sure to check out our Glossary if you run across any unfamiliar terms.
Let TTB help simplify the process for filing required tax returns and operational reports:
All TTB Forms
Complex and Popular TTB Forms
These hints and tips can help you complete some of our more popular forms. For more information about forms or a complete listing of all TTB forms see the forms main page.
- Preparing Form 5000.24
- Preparing Form 5000.25, Excise Tax Return – Alcohol and Tobacco (Puerto Rico)
- Ayuda en la Preparación de la Forma 5000.25 "Excise Tax Return - Alcohol and Tobacco (Puerto Rico)
- Guide to Form 5120.17
- Helpful Hints in Preparing Form 5130.9 Brewer's Report of Operations
Operational Reports Tutorials
These tutorials guide you through the various form fields. You may also conveniently file these reports electronically using Pay.gov.
- 5110.11 – Monthly Report of Storage Operations
- 5110.28 – Monthly Report of Processing Operations
- 5110.40 – Monthly Report of Production Operations
- 5110.43 – Monthly Report of Processing (Denaturing) Operations
- 5120.17 – Report of Wine Premises Operation
- 5130.9 – Brewer's Report of Operations
- 5620.8b – Claim -- Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau Taxes
Smart Forms User Guide
This guide gives a description of the functionality and step by step instructions for completing smart form TTB F 5000.24sm - Excise Tax Form. The smart form capabilities include calculations, mandatory field prompts, and prevention of incorrect entries. Download the TTB Smart Form User Guide.
Instructions and Samples
View samples of completed bond forms and reports.
- Wine Bond Instructions
- Wine Bond Worksheet
- Sample Report of Wine Premises Operations
- Sample Brewer's Report
This step-by-step guide demonstrates how to accurately complete TTB Form 5154.1. Guidelines for submissions of nonbeverage product formulas to the TTB Laboratory and sample calculations for items 9 & 10 are provided for the most common types of submissions. Go to the Drawback Tutorial.
More Information About . . .
- Downloading Forms
- Downloading Adobe
- Completing and Printing a Fillable Form
- Creating Shortcuts
- Commenting on a Form
- Submitting a Form by Postal Mail
- Ordering Forms
Please note that by clicking on the link, you will leave TTB's website and enter a non-Government owned website created, operated, and maintained by a private business. When you go to another site, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of that site. TTB cannot attest to the accuracy of information provided there. For more information read TTB's Linking Policy.
Linking to a website does not constitute an endorsement by TTB, or any of its employees, of the sponsors of the site or the products presented on the site. If you have any questions, please contact the TTB Webmaster.
- Please follow the instructions on each form because address and contact information varies.
- Most forms must be submitted to the National Revenue Center, 550 Main Street, Suite 8002, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, complete with signature and date.
- Tax return forms must be remitted according to the instructions on the form.
- Puerto Rico Operations forms must be submitted to TTB Puerto Rico Operations, Ste. 310, Torre Chardon, 350 Carlos Chardon Ave., San Juan, PR 00918.
- Mailing address for TTB Headquarters or for submitting comments only about a form is Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, 1310 G Street, NW, Box 12, Washington, DC 20005.
Apply for a Permit: Qualifying with TTB
|To operate an alcohol, tobacco, or firearms and ammunition-related business you must apply for a permit or other notice that authorizes your business for operations. To do this, you'll need to send us an application and the required documentation for qualification.|
How to Qualify
- Starting a new business and understanding the process can be challenging. For an overview of the steps involved in getting started in a TTB-regulated industry, see our Industry Startup Tutorial.
- Become familiar with the TTB regulations for your industry type (see Title 27, Chapter 1).
What You Must Do
TTB's Online Permit Application
Our Permits Online system allows you to electronically file original applications and to amend those applications. There's no need to mail in forms when you can use our secure and free system. To learn more about the Permits Online process see our tutorial.
Get started with Permits Online.