Applying for a Permit

If you plan to purchase and sell alcohol at wholesale, or if you plan to import alcohol beverages, you must first obtain a Basic Permit from TTB. Further, alcohol wholesalers must apply for a Basic Permit if they plan to export alcohol beverage products. You must have a permit approved by TTB in hand before commencing business.

Filing for a TTB Permit

All alcohol beverage wholesalers, importers, and exporters must file a permit application and necessary documents with TTB and receive approval before engaging in business. For a link to information on filing your permit application, visit our Informational and Application Packets page.


If you have questions regarding wholesaling and/or importing wine, beer, or distilled spirits, you may contact the National Revenue Center toll-free at 1-877-882-3277 or via e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Additional information can be found on our Importers/Wholesalers page.

Page last reviewed/updated: 05/23/2012


Wondering how to get started as a wholesaler or importer of beverage alcohol or need to get a wholesaler's basic permit? Visit our industry startup guide: Getting Started in a TTB-Regulated Industry. Have a permit and looking for next steps? See our industry compliance guide: Maintaining Compliance in a TTB-Regulated Business.   


Key Wholesaler/Importer/Exporter Topics


Laws, Regulations, and Public Guidance

Links to the CFRs, laws and industry circulars relating to wholesalers and importers.


Applying for a Permit

To purchase and sell alcohol at wholesale, or import alcohol beverages, you must obtain a basic permit. Apply online!


Exporting Alcohol Beverages

Requirements for exporting including Export Certificate Program.

U.S. Requirements for Importing Alcohol Beverages

Requirements that must be met to import alcohol beverages into the U.S.


Importing Alcohol for Personal Use

What you need to know for importing for personal use.


Certification Requirements for Imported Wine

Certification requirements regarding production practices and procedures for imported natural wine.


Certificate of Age and Origin Requirements for Imported Alcohol Beverages

Information on age and origin certification requirements for wines and distilled spirits imported into the United States.


Prohibited and Restricted Items for Import



Requirements for Importers/Exporters or Wholesalers

How to maintain compliance for those who have a permit to import, export, or wholesale beverage alcohol.


Retention of COLAs by Alcohol Wholesalers

TTB guidance for retention of COLAs by alcohol wholesalers.


Description: CONTACT US

Questions? If you're having technical issues with our online applications contact the TTB Help Desk or see our TTB Online Help Center


Page last reviewed: April 11, 2017
Page last updated: April 12, 2019
Maintained by: Office of Communications

Submitting a Wholesaler / Importer Application

Let Permits Online do the hard work for you.  You can securely file your application to wholesale or import beverage alcohol products electronically for free!  Once you register for Permits Online you can get online guidance, save and continue your work, and check the status of your application.  Learn more about applying through Permits Online.

How to Apply

You can submit your application to wholesale domestic alcohol beverage products within the United States and/or to import alcohol beverage products into the United States from a foreign country using Permits Online or you can submit a paper application for Federal Basic Permit using TTB F 5100.24.  The following forms or documents must be uploaded as attachments to your online application or mailed to us with your paper application:

  • TTB Form 5100.1, Signing Authority for Corporate and LLC Officials – Complete this form to show signing authority for officials and employees of your corporation or LLC, or you can submit a copy of meeting minutes, a resolution, or organizational documents that specifically show signing authority for corporate or LLC officials 
  • TTB Form 5000.8, Power of Attorney – Complete this form to show signing authority as applicable for the following: individual partners if applying as a partnership, someone other than the sole proprietor, someone other than corporate or LLC officials, such as outside attorneys and consultants, and employees not listed on TTB F 5100.1 who will sign documents and/or discuss the application with TTB 
  • TTB Form 5000.9, Personnel Questionnaire – Complete this form if an individual listed on the application is a citizen of a foreign country, lived in a foreign country for more than two years (after 18 years of age) or has association with a foreign country
  • For alcohol importers, you must submit a Contract or a Letter of Intent from a foreign supplier indicating that they intend to supply you with beverage alcohol products when you receive your permit

Other Filing Requirements

Other Resources

Page last reviewed/updated: 07/08/2014