How do I make a FOIA request?
(1) You must be specific in what you request. You must reasonably describe the records sought. Remember, FOIA only provides documents. It does not answer questions. It does not create new records.
(2) You must agree to pay fees for various costs related to providing the requested records.
(3) You must include information that will enable us to determine your fee category.
(4) You must include a mailing address.
How do I make a PA request?
When you make a request for notification of or access to records, it must:
State whether you wish to inspect the records or desire to have a copy made; Give a firm agreement to pay the fees for duplication that might be incurred; and If necessary, provide written consent for release of the information to your authorized representative (see below).
Individuals may not get information about someone else under the Privacy Act. If you want TTB to release information about you to someone else, such as your attorney or other authorized representative, you will need to provide written consent for the release of the information. The written authorization must contain:
Verification of Identity
You must verify your identity before action will be taken on any request. This can be done by providing a copy of a driver's license bearing your signature; or by providing a signed and dated statement that you understand the penalties provided in 5 U.S.C. 552a(i)(3) for requesting access to records under false pretenses, and the statement is subscribed by you as true and correct under penalty of perjury pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1746.
(1) You may submit a request to TTB Headquarters by letter to:
Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)
FOIA Requester Service Center
1310 G Street, NW - Box 12
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 882-9904
(2) You may submit a request to TTB by fax at (202) 453-2331.
(3) You may also submit your request via the Online Request Form: https://www.treasury.gov/foia/pages/gofoia.aspx
Can't find what you are looking for?
We will post frequently requested information on our site. That will make it easier for you to get – and TTB to give you – the information you seek. Search the home page or our Electronic Reading Room to see if the information is already available before submitting a request.
For more information about TTB's disclosure services, you can e-mail the Freedom of Information Officer, or you may reference the Treasury Department FOIA Regulations at 31 CFR Part 1 Subpart A (2001).
[Note – TTB does not accept FOIA requests via email. Please see the instructions above on how to make a formal written request.]