Eliot Knows Archives

Eliot Knows Graphic

Prohibition Agent Eliot Ness knows all there is to know about TTB and the regulated industries. Take a look below to see his answers to popular questions.


"What do I need to do to get into the wine business?"

Federal law requires that anyone wishing to conduct wine operations (other than as a home winemaker) must first establish premises, obtain a bond and receive permission from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). In addition, law requires that anyone wishing to produce or blend wine in the United States must first obtain a Federal Basic Permit from TTB.  The web page below provides detailed information on entering the wine industry:

The Federal Application Process for the Wine Industry

Visit the Eliot Knows Archives to see other popular questions and answers.

Page last reviewed/updated: 10/20/2011