Envelope Icon. Sign up to automatically receive the weekly TTB Newsletter (via email).


April 8, 2016


Greetings! We hope you had a pain-free and active week! This week's top stories include an announcement about a new registration requirement imposed by the government of Korea for companies importing alcohol beverages into Korea, information about the requirements to import bottled alcohol beverages, and a list of the past week's top International Affairs Division pages at TTB.gov/.


Effective February 4, 2016, the Ministry of Food & Drug Safety (MFDS) of the Republic of Korea implemented the Special Act on Safety Management of Imported Food (Act). TTB is part of an interagency group that is working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service personnel stationed in Korea, who continue to engage with Korean authorities as they implement the Act. TTB will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as the Act’s implementation unfolds.

The Act requires all foreign food facilities and livestock establishments, including alcohol production plants that export their products to Korea, to be registered with the Korean government at least seven working days prior to import declaration. The Act provides a six-month grace period during which foreign facilities that are not registered with the MFDS may continue to export products to Korea without registration.

The grace period expires on August 3, 2016.

Read the TTB Announcement dated April 5, 2016 for more details, including how to register with the Korean government.


Certain requirements apply to alcohol beverages imported in bottles or other non-bulk containers and persons engaged in the business of importing them.  Read the abbreviated descriptions below or visit our importing bottled alcohol beverages Web page on TTB.gov/ to learn more.

Federal Basic Permit
Persons seeking to engage in the business of importing distilled spirits, wine, or malt beverages as defined in the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act) into the United States must apply for a Federal Basic Importer’s Permit (“Importer’s Permit”).  Read more  

Taxes, Duties, and Registration
Importers are responsible for all applicable Federal excise taxes and duties.  U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) collects all applicable Federal excise taxes on distilled spirits, wine, and beer as defined in the Internal Revenue Code.  CBP also collects all applicable duties.  Read more

Importers must register as alcohol dealers and complete TTB F 5630.5(d) (PDF), "Alcohol Dealer Registration," before engaging in business.  Importers must also file this form with TTB when there is a change in registration information and when discontinuing their business.

Certificate of Label Approval Requirements
After receiving the Importer’s Permit, the importer must obtain a TTB-issued Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) for each unique product/label for distilled spirits, wine, or malt beverages as defined in the FAA ActRead more

Note: As part of the COLA process, the importer may need to obtain pre-COLA product approval, depending on the product to be imported.  For information on pre-COLA product approval, see Industry Circular 2007-4Read more

Natural Wine Certificate
Importers of wine made from sound ripe grapes or other sound, ripe fruit produced after December 31, 2004, must comply with certification requirements set forth under the Miscellaneous Trade and Technical Corrections Act of 2004 to ensure that the practices and procedures used to produce the imported wine constitute proper cellar treatment.  For some grape wines imported from countries with which the United States has an enological practices agreement, no certification is required.  Please refer to our list of excepted countries.  Read more

Certificate of Age and Origin Requirements
A certificate of age or origin is required for certain wines and distilled spirits imported into the United States.  Read more

Other Regulatory Considerations
In addition to the TTB requirements for importation, the importer must also comply with any applicable requirements of other Federal agencies.  Read more

The importer must also meet the requirements of the State and local jurisdictions where the importer is engaged in the importation of beverage alcohol products.  Read more

Please visit the homepage of TTB.gov/ for the most recent news, or visit the Contact Us page if you have any questions.