Advertising, Labeling and Formulation Division
Director, Advertising, Labeling & Formulation Division
The Advertising, Labeling and Formulation Division (ALFD) ensures the proper tax classification of alcohol beverages; ensures that formulas, labels, and advertisements for alcohol beverages are in compliance with Federal laws and regulations; ensures that labels provide consumers with adequate information on the identity and quality of alcohol beverage products; prevents consumer deception; and educates and provides guidance to industry and the general public on laws, regulations, and activities regarding ALFD's mission and functions.
What We Do
ALFD's responsibilities are divided among four offices:
Market Compliance Office
- Ensure that alcohol beverage advertisements are in compliance with the FAA Act and regulations.
- Monitor alcohol beverages in the marketplace through the Bureau-wide beverage alcohol monitoring and compliance program.
- Monitor, coordinate, and respond to consumer complaints pertaining to alcohol beverage products.
- Assist Field Operations in its investigations and audits of Federal Alcohol Administration Act cases involving alcohol beverage formulation, labeling, and advertising issues.
Formulation/Malt Beverage and Distilled Spirits Office
- Examining domestic alcohol beverage formulas and pre-import formulas, submitted electronically or by paper, to ensure product integrity, accurate product identification, correct tax classification, and compliance with Federal laws and regulations.
- Reviewing and processing TTB Form 5100.31, Application for and Certification/Exemption of Label/Bottle Approval (COLA) submitted electronically or by paper for malt beverage and distilled spirits labels, and issuing certificates of label approval or exemptions for these products.
- Answering inquiries via phone, e-mail, and fax on a wide range of domestic and import issues and concerns relating to the production and formulation of wine, distilled spirits, and malt beverage products, Formulas Online, and labeling of malt beverages and distilled spirits.
- Reviewing and processing TTB Form 5100.31, Application for and Certification/Exemption of Label/Bottle Approval (COLA) submitted electronically or by paper for wine labels.
- Issuing certificates of label approval for domestic (or exemptions) and imported wines.
- Answering inquiries via phone, e-mail, and fax on a wide range of domestic and import issues and concerns relating to wine labeling.
Risk Assessment and Information Services Office
- Providing information technology advice to the alcohol beverage industry members and representatives about online filing.
- Leading the ALFD effort to transform the processing of label applications by managing the COLAs Online System.
- Reviewing and processing TTB Form 5013.2, COLAS Online Access Request, for access to the COLAs Online System.
- Reviewing and processing formula registrations, for access to Formulas Online System.