U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government


Winery/Taxpaid Wine Bottling House: Anyone wishing to operate a wine premises (bonded winery (BW or BWN), bonded wine cellar (BWC) or taxpaid wine bottling house (TPWBH)) must first apply to TTB and receive permission to start operations. Winery, bonded wine cellar and/or taxpaid wine bottling house operations may not begin until approval is given.

Federal Application Process - This web page provides complete details on the Federal Application process required to enter the wine industry.

Permits Online: TTB's Online Permit Application Process - The TTB Permits Online system allows you to electronically file original applications and to amend those applications. Using this free system eliminates the need to mail in forms, which saves you time and effort and generally results in faster processing of your application. Register for Permits Online today!











For information about permits, contact the National Revenue Center (NRC) online or toll free at 877-882-3277 / 877-TTB-FAQS, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday. You may also visit the NRC Contacts page for a complete listing of NRC's contact information.


Last updated: January 21, 2020
Maintained by: National Revenue Center