U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Qualify with TTB

Grey circle icon with a white check mark.

To operate an alcohol, tobacco, or firearms and ammunition-related business you must apply for a permit or other notice that authorizes your business for operations. To do this, you'll need to send us an application and the required documentation for qualification.

How to Qualify

  • Starting a new business and understanding the process can be challenging. For an overview of the steps involved in getting started in a TTB-regulated industry, see our Industry Startup Tutorial.
  • Become familiar with the TTB regulations for your industry type (see Title 27, Chapter 1).

What You Must Do


Your business type


Required documents for Permits Online


Your application online

TTB's Online Permit Application

Our Permits Online system allows you to electronically file original applications and to amend those applications. There's no need to mail in forms when you can use our secure and free system. To learn more about the Permits Online process see our tutorial.


Questions? Please contact the National Revenue Center at 877-882-3277 / 877-TTB-FAQS, or send us a message using our National Revenue Center Contact Form.


Last updated: March 7, 2024
Maintained by: Office of Communications