U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Beer Industry

Wondering how to get started in the brewing Industry? Visit our industry startup guide: Getting Started in a TTB-Regulated Industry. Have a permit to operate in the beer industry and looking for next steps? See our industry compliance guide: Maintaining Compliance in a TTB-Regulated Business.

NOTE – If you're looking for information about cider, which is classified as a wine, visit our Cider page.

Key Beer Topics

More information on Beer Labeling

Beer Labeling

Activities including alcohol fact labeling, generic terms, and allowable COLA changes

More information on Brewer's Notice (Permit)

Brewer's Notice (Permit)

Getting qualified so you can apply for permission to operate, and get help with applying online

More information on Importing/Exporting


Requirements for importing and exporting alcohol beverages, and wholesaler/importer info

More information on Taxes and Filing

Taxes and Filing

Tax rates and due dates, Pay.gov and help with filing and preparing excise tax returns

More information on Changes After Qualification

Changes After Qualification

File amendments for change of bond and control using Permits Online

Formula Approval

Some products require formula approval before you can submit your labels to TTB. Check if your beverage requires formula approval or lab analysis.

More information on Beer Laws and Regulations

Beer Laws and Regulations

Public guidance including FAQs, procedures, rulings and industry circulars

More information on Other Beer Topics

Other Beer Topics

Such as saké, alternating proprietorships and frequently requested listings


Top Questions about the Beer Industry 

How Do I...?

Apply as a Brewery through Permits OnlineFile Disaster Claims
Determine and Pay TaxesDifferentiate Between a Change in Proprietorship and a Change in Control
Obtain Labeling and Formulation ApprovalMaintain Compliance in a TTB-Regulated Industry
Submit a Product SampleSee More Beer Questions



Questions? If you have questions regarding permits, applications, bonds, tax payments, etc., you may contact the National Revenue Center online or at 877-882-3277 (Toll Free), or see more beer contacts. If you're having technical issues with our online applications contact the TTB Help Desk or see the TTB Online Help Center.


Last reviewed: July 20, 2017
Last updated: January 20, 2023
Maintained by: Office of Communications