U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Making and Submitting a Request


How do I make a FOIA request?

(1) You must be specific in what you request. You must reasonably describe the records sought. Remember, FOIA only provides documents. It does not answer questions. It does not create new records. 

(2) You must agree to pay fees for various costs related to providing the requested records. 

(3) You must include information that will enable us to determine your fee category.

(4) You must include a mailing address.

How do I make a PA request?

When you make a request for notification of or access to records, it must:

  • Be made in writing and signed by the person making the request, who must be the individual about whom the record is maintained; or his or her authorized representative.
  • State that it is made pursuant to the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. 552a, and be marked "Privacy Act Request" on the request and on the envelope. Give the name of the system of records to which access is sought (see "Privacy Act Issuances"). To see a listing of the more recent Privacy Act documents appearing in the Federal Register click here.
  • Provide enough information (i.e., the nature of the record sought, the date of the record or the period in which the record was compiled) to enable us to locate the record with a reasonable amount of effort;
  • State that you are a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States;
  • Provide verification of your identity (see below);
  • Be sent to the address indicated for the requested system of records, as specified in "Privacy Act Issuances";

State whether you wish to inspect the records or desire to have a copy made; Give a firm agreement to pay the fees for duplication that might be incurred; and If necessary, provide written consent for release of the information to your authorized representative (see below).


Individuals may not get information about someone else under the Privacy Act. If you want TTB to release information about you to someone else, such as your attorney or other authorized representative, you will need to provide written consent for the release of the information. The written authorization must contain:

  • A description of the record which may be disclosed;
  • The name of the person, firm, or agency to which the record will be disclosed;
  • A statement that the agency is authorized to disclose the record;
  • Your signature and the date; and
  • Verification of your identity.

Verification of Identity

You must verify your identity before action will be taken on any request. This can be done by providing a copy of a driver's license bearing your signature; or by providing a signed and dated statement that you understand the penalties provided in 5 U.S.C. 552a(i)(3) for requesting access to records under false pretenses, and the statement is subscribed by you as true and correct under penalty of perjury pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1746.

How do I submit a FOIA or PA request?

(1) You may submit a request to TTB Headquarters by letter to:

Quinton Mason
Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)
FOIA Requester Service Center
1310 G Street, NW - Box 12
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 882-9904

(2) You may submit a request to TTB by fax at (202) 453-2331.

(3) You may also submit your request via the Online Request Form 
….you can contact us online.

Can't find what you are looking for?

We will post frequently requested information on our site. That will make it easier for you to get – and TTB to give you – the information you seek. Search the home page or our Electronic Reading Room to see if the information is already available before submitting a request.

For more information about TTB's disclosure services, you can e-mail the Freedom of Information Officer, or you may reference the Treasury Department FOIA Regulations at 31 CFR Part 1 Subpart A (2001).

[Note – TTB does not accept FOIA requests via email. Please see the instructions above on how to make a formal written request.]

Last updated: April 1, 2024
Maintained by: Regulations and Rulings Division