Tips and Tricks: Troubleshooting Forms
Recommendations for Best Performance:
- Latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Cookies enabled
- Web browser 128-bit encryption
- Close other browser windows prior to accessing the system
- Use the 'Save' buttons within the applications. In order to avoid system timeouts, save frequently. You may only save your data in forms that include that capability, which is indicated by this icon.
- If this capability has not been enabled in your form you will get a pop-up message stating, "You cannot save data typed into this form."
Pop-Up Warning Messages
- When opening a form, you may get a pop-up message stating, "You cannot save data typed into this form." You may ask us to enable the save capability by sending us a message, including the form number and name, using our National Revenue Center Contact Form,
- Some TTB forms require specially sized paper or adjustments to printer settings. When opening a form, you may see a message from TTB pertaining to the use of the form.
Getting Errors: "Form is Not Found," and "Page Cannot Be Displayed"
- When saving a form or attaching a document you may get one of the following error pages:
- "The Form is Not Found," or
- "The Page Cannot Be Displayed"
- If you get "The Form is Not Found" error page, click the Back button on your browser, and try again.
- If you get "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" error page, please use the Refresh Button on your Web-browser to regenerate the page. If clicking the Refresh Button does not return the necessary page, perform a Full Refresh pressing the Control (Ctrl) and F5 buttons at the same time (Ctrl + F5). If this does not work, report the error to TTB using our National Revenue Center Contact Form
Form Doesn't Print
- If a form does not print, try the following steps. Try printing after each adjustment.
- Check to see if the printer is on, has paper, and is error-free.
- Test printing from another software on the same computer.
- Download and re-install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- In the Print window, select "Document and Markups" from the Comments and Forms: dropdown in the upper right corner.
- In the Print window, select "Fit to Printable Area" in the Page Scaling: dropdown, in the Page handling section. View the Preview: Composite to see if the document preview looks accurate.
- Uncheck the ‘Choose paper source by PDF page size' and ‘Print to file' checkboxes.
- Printers behave differently and are set up in various ways. Some solutions work for some printers but not for others. If you are still unable to print after trying these options, contact TTB at 877-882-3277, or send us a message using our National Revenue Center Contact Form.
- If a form prints with characters that are unrecognizable, download and re-install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Part of Form Does Not Print
- If the bottom or some other part of a form is missing when you print it, in the Page handling section of the Print window, select "Fit to Printable Area" from the Page Scaling: dropdown. View the Preview: Composite to see if the document preview looks accurate. If part of the form is still missing, try selecting ‘Shrink to Printable Area' from the dropdown.