Export Retention (Variance) Program
If your business is a distilled spirits plant, brewery, bonded wine premise, tobacco manufacture, or export warehouse, you may apply for a variance (or approval) to keep your export documentation at your premises. We may also refer to this as an alternative procedure.
There are several requirements and conditions that must be met to obtain and maintain a variance. Please see links below for more information.
- TTB Industry Circular 2004-3 - Alcohol and Tobacco Export Documentation Procedures – Guidance for using applying for a variance to maintain export documentation at your premises
- TTB Industry Circular 2004-3 - FAQ's – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about using this alternative procedure
- Revised Industry Circular 2002-2 - Pre-COLA Product Evaluation – Guidance that explains whether or not a pre-COLA (Certificate of Labeling Approval) product evaluation is required for certain alcohol beverages
- Industry Circular 1999-2 - Unlawful Transportation, Shipment, or Sale of Cigarettes and Domestic Sale of Cigarettes Labeled for Export – Guidance issued by our former agency, Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Ammunition that explains unlawful transportation, shipment, or sale of cigarettes marked for export
- Due Dates – Export documentation retention program monthly report and tax due dates
- Workbook – Prescribed format for monthly report of goods exported
- Export Variance Letter – Template for letterhead request to apply for a variance