Kosher (Kashrut) certification is not a legal requirement for importing food into Israel. However, non-kosher products have a much smaller market, as most supermarkets and hotels refuse to carry them. It is necessary for importers to apply to the Israeli Import Department before contracting to import kosher wine. Israeli law stipulates that the council of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel is the sole authority responsible for determining whether a product is kosher. Many American rabbis are recognized by Israel’s Chief Rabinate to certify kosher wine.

U.S. exporters of kosher wine will need to provide their Israeli importers with the following documents:

  1. Copies of all labels of the winery which are used outside of Israel for non-kosher wines.
  2. Copies of the proposed labels for the kosher wine.
  3. A kashrut certificate from abroad, from the supervising rabbi, indicating: filling date, ingredient list and auxiliary materials used in the manufacture of the wine, description of the manufacturing process
  4. A declaration by the kashrut supervisor that he has sole responsibility for the labels.

Kosher wine must be produced, stored, shipped, and advertise entirely separately from non-kosher wine.

The Israeli Import Department will not license the importation of kosher wine in bulk. Any food marked with the word "kosher" shall also be marked with the name and location of the person certifying the kashrut.

Back to Top


For information on food labeling and packaging, please contact the Food Control Administration of the Israeli Ministry of Health (see contact information below).

Back to Top


In order for the product to be exported to Israel, exporters must provide a commercial invoice signed by the manufacturer, consignor, owner, or authorized agent. In addition, exporters should check whether other documentation, including a bill of lading or a package list, is required.

Back to Top


In accordance with the U.S.-Israel Free Trade Agreement, U.S. alcoholic beverages may enter Israel duty-free. In order to obtain duty-free treatment, a "U.S. Certificate of Origin for Exporting to Israel" form should be presented to Customs. The certificate needs to be notarized or stamped by a Chamber of Commerce if the exporter is not also the manufacturer.

It is also possible for exporters to apply for status as an "Approved Exporter." An "Approved Exporter" may provide a commercial invoice rather than a certificate of origin for duty-free treatment. A manufacturer or exporter who wishes to become an "Approved Exporter" should complete a declaration form and present it to: Export Department, Israel Customs Service, 32 Agron Street, P.O. Box 320, Jerusalem, Israel. Potential candidates are U.S. firms with total annual exports to Israel of at least $20 million who have an unblemished record with the Israel Customs Service.

Back to Top


USDA Foreign Agricultural Service
Office of Agricultural Affairs
American Embassy, Tel Aviv
71 Ha'Yarkon Street
63903 Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel: (011-972-3) 519-7588
Fax: (011-972-3) 510-2565
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Food Control Service
Ministry of Health
12 Ha’arba’a St.
64739, Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel: (011-972-3) 627-0112
Fax: (011-972-3) 627-0126
Web site:

Standards Institution of Israel
42 H. Lebanon St
69977, Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel: 972-3-6465154
Fax: 972-3-6419683
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web Site:


The information in this guide was obtained from external sources, including the websites of various governmental agencies and organizations, direct contact with those agencies and organizations, and from Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) Attaché reports. Consequently, the accuracy of this information depends upon the accuracy of the sources.

TTB is not responsible for the content of external websites.

This page was last reviewed on September 12, 2011

Page last reviewed/updated: 09/04/2012