U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Brewer’s Notice

If you've decided to brew beer for sale then you must first qualify with TTB by submitting a Brewer's Notice application.  You can do this online (recommended) or file a *paper application. There is no fee at the federal level to apply for or maintain approval to operate TTB-regulated alcohol and tobacco businesses.

How to Qualify



Brewers must have bond coverage before beginning the business of brewing. Surety (insurance) companies charge premiums for bond coverage. See this list of certified surety companies.

Permits Online Application Process

Apply electronically using Permits Online to file your original application, make amendments, and track the status. Using this secure and free system eliminates the need to mail in forms, which saves you time and effort and generally results in faster processing of your application.


Application Packets (Paper Applications)

While we encourage the use of Permits Online to ensure accuracy and often faster processing time, you may elect to use the paper forms.  See or download required forms and instructions along with tools and resources to aid you in filing an acceptable paper application. If you do not file your application electronically, you must submit the Brewer's Notice application using paper forms and mail them to TTB. 

  • Brewery/Brewpub/Alternating Brewery Premises
    For businesses wishing to produce malt beverages, operate a brewpub or microbrewery or alternate brewery premises with another brewery.  Saké producers must also use this packet.
  • Brewery-Pilot Operations
    A pilot brewery may be established off brewery premises for research, analytical, experimental, or developmental purposes relating to beer or brewery operations.

*See a complete list of applications not currently accepted electronically via Permits Online.



Questions? If you have questions regarding permits, applications, bonds, tax payments, etc., you may contact the National Revenue Center online or at 877-882-3277 (Toll Free), or see more beer contacts. If you're having technical issues with our online applications contact the TTB Help Desk or see the TTB Online Help Center.

Last updated: January 26, 2020
Maintained by: Office of Communications