Revisions to Approved Formulas
TTB understands that changes to approved formulas may occur. Use the following guidelines when submitting revisions to approved formulas.
A revised formula is needed when:
- Ingredients are added or removed from an article.
- The quantity of one or more ingredient is changed beyond +/-5%, or if the formula was approved by TTB with restrictions.
- A color or dye is changed that was originally identified by its specific color.
- Switching from one denaturant to another denaturant to manufacture the same article*.
A revised formula is not needed when:
- Only the name of an article is changed without any change in composition to the article.
- The product number of an article is changed.
- A color or dye is changed that was not originally identified by its specific color.
- The size of the commercial package is changed, unless it was approved by TTB with size restrictions.
- When changing from one brand name of an ingredient to another brand name of the same ingredient.
* Some exceptions do exist. Please contact the Nonbeverage Products Laboratory for additional assistance.