Special Industrial Solvents (27 CFR §20.112)
Are not intended for sale through retail channels for sale as consumer commodities for personal or household use.
- Instead, they are intended as ingredients or solvents in manufacturing processes.
- When they are used to manufacture an article for sale, sufficient ingredients should be added to change the composition and character of the special industrial solvent.
- They cannot be reprocessed into another solvent intended for sale if the new solvent would contain more than 50% alcohol by volume.
Contain 100 gallons of SDA Formula 1, 3-A, or 3-C and:
- No less than 1 gallon of methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK), methyl n-butyl ketone, nitropropane, ethylene glycol monoethyl ether or propylene glycol monomethyl ether (PGME); and
- No less than 5 gallons of ethyl acetate, isopropyl alcohol, or methanol; and
- May contain other ingredients in addition to those listed above.