Let Permits Online do the hard work for you. You can securely file your application to wholesale or import beverage alcohol products electronically for free! Once you register for Permits Online you can get online guidance, save and continue your work, and check the status of your application. Learn more about applying through Permits Online.
How to Apply
You can submit your application to wholesale domestic alcohol beverage products within the United States and/or to import alcohol beverage products into the United States from a foreign country using Permits Online or you can submit a paper application for Federal Basic Permit using TTB F 5100.24. The following forms or documents must be uploaded as attachments to your online application or mailed to us with your paper application:
- TTB Form 5100.1, Signing Authority for Corporate and LLC Officials – Complete this form to show signing authority for officials and employees of your corporation or LLC, or you can submit a copy of meeting minutes, a resolution, or organizational documents that specifically show signing authority for corporate or LLC officials
- TTB Form 5000.8, Power of Attorney – Complete this form to show signing authority as applicable for the following: individual partners if applying as a partnership, someone other than the sole proprietor, someone other than corporate or LLC officials, such as outside attorneys and consultants, and employees not listed on TTB F 5100.1 who will sign documents and/or discuss the application with TTB
- TTB Form 5000.9, Personnel Questionnaire – Complete this form if an individual listed on the application is a citizen of a foreign country, lived in a foreign country for more than two years (after 18 years of age) or has association with a foreign country
- For alcohol importers, you must submit a Contract or a Letter of Intent from a foreign supplier indicating that they intend to supply you with beverage alcohol products when you receive your permit
Other Filing Requirements
- You must have an EIN (Employer Identification Number). You can Apply Online for your EIN or submit SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number to the IRS. See instructions
- You must meet all State and local requirements. State and local authorities may have their own importation and wholesaling requirements in addition to Federal requirements, so you must contact their State alcohol control board and/or local authorities for more information.
- You must register with the FDA as a food facility as part of the Bioterrorism Act of 2002 if you plan to warehouse the alcohol beverage products you import and/or wholesale. See Registration of Food Facilities.
- For alcohol importers, you must obtain a TTB-issued Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) for each unique product/label. See Certificates of Label Approval (Cola) for information on how to apply.
- Requirements for Importing
- Laws and Regulations
- Requirements for Exporting
- Certificate of Label Approval (COLA)