Helpful Hints in Preparing Form 5000.25, Excise Tax Return - Alcohol and Tobacco (Puerto Rico)
Please read the form carefully and complete all items that apply. The following items cover errors commonly found on excise tax returns.
- The serial number in item 1 must begin with number 1 at the beginning of operations and again at the beginning of each year. After the first year the serial number will match that shown on the due date schedule for the period. Pre-payments are numbered sequentially returning to number 1 each new calendar year.
- Check the proper method of payment in item 2. Check other and specify none if a zero balance return.
- Check the appropriate box in item 4 and list the dates. Return periods will be 1st through 15th or 16th - end of the month except for September, which requires 3 returns.
- Item 8 shows the complete premises address as shown on your approved notice or permit.
- You should always have an entry on:
- Line 9 for Distilled Spirits – Indicates the total number of proof gallons of spirits removed from the bonded premises for consumption or sale multiplied by $13.50. Complete Line 36 PR Rum.
- Line 10 for Wine – Indicates the total number of bulk or bottled gallons of wine removed for consumption or sale multiplied by tax rates listed in 26 U.S.C. 5041(b).
- Line 11 for Beer – Indicates the total number of barrels of beer removed for consumption or sale multiplied by the tax rate ($7 or $18).
- Lines 12 – 16 for Tobacco – Indicates the total number of small and large cigars and cigarettes removed subject to tax divided by 1,000 then multiplied by the appropriate tax rate listed in 26 U.S.C. 5701 (a) and (b). For pipe tobacco, roll your own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco products, this line should equal the number of pounds removed subject to tax multiplied by the appropriate tax rate listed in 26 U.S.C. 5701 (f), (g) and (e), respectively. Complete Line 37.
- Lines 17, 19, and 21 even if the amount is zero. Any entry in Line 18 or 20 shall be explained in Schedules A or B accordingly.
- The person signing the return must have signing authority on file with TTB. Stamped or photocopied signatures can not be accepted.
- Returns must be filed by the due date to avoid possible penalties and interest. Please remember that there are 3 returns due in September.
TTB F 5000.25 - Excise Tax Return - Alcohol and Tobacco (Puerto Rico)
- Please remit your tax return to:
Chief, PR Operations
Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
Suite 310 Torre Chardon
350 Chardon Ave
San Juan, PR 00918-2124
Please see the schedule of due dates and form instructions for further information. Call the TTB Puerto Rico Operations office at (787) 766-5584 if you need assistance.