The following information must be present on the label:

  • Product type (Trademarks, brand names or fanciful names may not substitute the generic/product name, but may be used in addition to the product name)
  • List of ingredients preceded by the word "Ingredients"; must show all ingredients (including additives) in descending order of weight as recorded at the time of their use in the manufacture and designated by their specific name. In the case of those products that may contain ingredients liable to cause allergies or intolerances, a clear indication should be given on the label by the word "contains" followed by the name of the ingredient. However, this indication will not be necessary provided the specific name is included in the list of ingredients.
  • Net quantity in metric units (liter, centiliter, milliliter)
  • Date of minimum durability – not required for wine and beverages containing more than 10% alcohol by volume
  • Special conditions for keeping or use (if applicable)
  • Name or business name and address of the manufacturer, packager or importer established in the European Union
  • Country of origin or provenance
  • Alcohol content for beverages containing more than 1.2% by volume
  • Lot identification with the marking preceded by the letter "L".

For further information, please refer to Directive/2000/13/EC (PDF).

Language requirements: With the exception of allergen information, which must appear in French or English, the labeling requirements above may appear in one or more official languages of the EU.

For more information on labeling specific to alcohol beverages, please visit the Europa website.

Wine-Specific Labeling:

The following must appear on a label in a single field of vision (e.g., can be viewed without having to turn the bottle), except for the Importer’s details, the Lot number, and allergenic ingredients.


  • Class/type of wine
  • Appellation of origin or name of protected designation of origin/geographical indication
  • Country of origin (e.g., "Product of...")
  • Alcohol content
  • Bottler/producer information – name and address
  • Importer information – name and address, preceded by the word(s) "Importer" or "Imported by"
  • Sugar content (if sparkling wine)
  • Allergenic ingredients (e.g., "Contains sulphites")
  • Lot identification with the marking preceded by the letter "L".


  • Vintage year (at least 85% of the grapes used to make the product must have been harvested in the year in question)
  • Grape variety

Allergen Labeling for Wine:

Allergen labeling rules apply to beverages containing more than 1.2% by volume of alcohol. Alcoholic beverages containing sulphur dioxide and sulphites at concentrations of more than 10 mg/kg or 10 mg/liter must be labeled "Contains sulphites" or "Contains sulphur dioxide". Replacing the word "sulphites" with "SO2" or "E220" is not allowed. For more information, refer to Directive 2003/89/EC, amending Directive 2000/13/EC.

Environmental/Sustainability Claims:

Processed wine from organic grapes must be produced in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 834/2007 (PDF) and Regulation (EC) No 889/2008 (PDF). Label references for such wine must be indicated in terms of ingredients – e.g., "Wine from grapes from organic cultivation" and may not be referred to simply as "organic wine". Wine labels may also include claims (such as "bio-dynamic") as long as such a term does not mislead consumers.

Wine products may not include the EU organic production logo referenced in EU legislation on their label.

Genetically Modified (GM) Food Labeling:

Food products containing or consisting of GMOs, produced from GMOs or containing ingredients produced from GMOs must be labeled in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 (PDF).

For more information, visit the U.S. Mission to the EU FAS website for up-to-date information on GM regulations and labeling.

Back to Top


The Annex to Directive 2007/45/EC (PDF) sets out general standards of fill for wine and distilled spirits. Please note that this Directive does not apply to pre-packaged products sold in duty-free shops for consumption outside the European Union.

A chart derived from this Annex outlining the standard of fill requirements can be found here.

Back to Top


On March 10, 2006, the U.S. and EU signed the Agreement between the United States and the European Community on Trade in Wine. The agreement provides for the recognition of each other's existing current winemaking practices, as well as a consultative process for accepting new winemaking practices. As such, the EU must allow entry of U.S. wine products made in accordance with U.S. winemaking standards into the EU.

Accepted EU enological practices and process are outlined in Regulation (EC) No 606/2009 (PDF). The Regulation also contains a list of restrictions and requirements pertaining to the use of certain substances authorized for oenological purposes.

Back to Top


The following is a list of the documents that are required and/or recommended when importing alcohol beverages into France and/or any other EU member state:

  • Commercial invoice
  • Customs Value Declaration
  • Freight Insurance
  • Freight documents
  • Customs Import Declaration (SAD form – a common import declaration form for all EU Member States; must be drawn up in one of the official languages of the EU)
  • Packing List
  • Certificate of Origin
  • Insurance certificate
  • Simplified Export Certificate (for wine only) – refer to TTB Industry Circular 2007-2 for more information

Back to Top


An Import License is required for wine shipments larger than 3,000 liters (30hl) imported from "third countries" (such as the U.S.) into any EU member state. Such import licenses are issued in France by FranceAgriMer. Contact information for this agency can be found in the Contacts section at the end of this document.

Back to Top


An import declaration is required for goods from third countries such as the U.S. When goods are imported into France, it is the responsibility of the importer or his authorized agent to declare them to Customs. A Single Administrative Document or SAD is used for this purpose. This is the approved form for the import declaration process. Further information on the SAD can be found on the EU website.

The Single Administrative Document (SAD) may be submitted to French Customs, either through physical means or through an electronic declaration.
Goods are released from Customs for "free circulation" once the pertinent documents have been filed and payment of tariff duties has been completed. After paying the value added tax (VAT) and any other applicable excise duty, goods are also released for consumption and ready to be marketed.

Wine-specific Import Requirements:

Third Country (e.g., U.S.) wines imported into the European Community must also be accompanied by a simplified export certificate or VI1 document until such wine is put into free circulation.

For more information on the simplified export certificate, please visit the VI1 Forms for Exporting Wine to the European Union section of our Export Documents page.

Further information on EU import regulations for wine can be also found on the U.S. Mission to the European Union website.

Back to Top


Value Added Tax (VAT) is an indirect tax on goods and services which is borne by the end consumer and applied to the value added at each stage of the supply chain. In France, it is called Taxe sur la Valeur Ajoutée.

For the most current tariffs and taxes applied to imported products in France, please visit the EU Tariff and Taxation Union TARIC database. Once on the TARIC website, you must follow the prompts to find the applicable tariffs/taxes for your product.

Back to Top


Beer advertising in France has been affected by the introduction of the Evin Law in 1992, which forbids the television advertising of beers with an alcohol content exceeding 1.2 percent. The law also stipulates that any advertising through the press, billboards or posters must contain a health warning message. Radio advertising of beer products has also been limited by the French Government, and can only be broadcast during school hours.

Back to Top


U.S. Embassy, Paris
Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS)
2, Avenue Gabriel
75382 Paris Cedex 08
Tel: (33-1) 43-12-2245/2264
Fax: (33-1) 43-12-2662
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Direction Générale des Douanes et Droits Indirects - DGDDI (Directorate-General of Customs and Indirect Duties)
23 bis rue de l'Université
F-75700 Paris 07 SP
Tel: (+33) 1 40 04 04 04

12, rue Rol-Tanguy
F- 93555 Montreuil Sous Bois Cedex
Tel: (+33) 1 73 30 20 00
Fax: (+33) 1 73 30 26 12

Embassy of France, Washington, D.C.
4101 Reservoir Road, NW,
Washington, D.C. 20007
Tel: (202) 944-6000
Fax: (202) 944-6072

The information in this guide was obtained from external sources, including the websites of various governmental agencies and organizations, direct contact with those agencies and organizations, and from Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) Attaché reports. Consequently, the accuracy of this information depends upon the accuracy of the sources.

TTB is not responsible for the content of external websites.

Back to Top

Page last reviewed/updated: 09/04/2012