The Federal Application Process for the Wine Industry


Bonded Wine Premises, Alternating Proprietor Wine Premises, and Custom Crush Operations

Welcome! If you are considering becoming a winery, or if you would like to sell wine, here is a discussion of the federal qualification process for becoming a member of the wine industry. You should begin by determining whether your business plan requires qualification under federal laws and regulations. For an overview of the steps involved in getting started in a TTB-Regulated industry see our Industry Startup Tutorial.

If you determine that your plans require TTB qualification, the following information will help you complete the application forms and understand the qualification process. All application documents submitted to become a Bonded Winery, Bonded Wine Cellar and/or Wholesaler must be approved by TTB before business may begin.

If TTB approves your application, you will have ongoing recordkeeping responsibilities, and you may have labeling and tax responsibilities, which will vary depending on your operations.

Alcohol businesses wishing to operate above the retail level must file an application with TTB and receive approval before engaging in business. These packets include a combination of required forms, and instructions along with tools and resources to aid you in filing an acceptable application.

Some business operations are similar in nature or involve similar products. Please carefully .read the packet description to determine which packet(s) you need to file.

Green icon with a white phone. CONTACT US
If you need assistance selecting the proper packet(s), contact the National Revenue Center (NRC) online or toll free at 877-882-3277 / 877-TTB-FAQS. Visit our NRC Contacts page for a complete listing of NRC's contact information.

Page last Updated: 8/6/2020