On July 29, 2014, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) Assistant Administrator, Theresa McCarthy and the Minister of Agriculture of the Republic of Moldova, Vasile Bumacov, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to protect the public and to establish a consistent channel for information exchange on imported and exported wine.
The MOU, signed in Washington, DC, will have long-standing positive effects on mutual understanding and interests in the areas of facilitating the compliant importation and exportation trade in wine. In forging paths to ensure a long-term economic partnership with the Republic of Moldova, key points of the MOU include:
- Exchanging information on wine issues related to regulations, laws, policies, procedures, standards, and labeling administration,
- Providing timely notifications regarding changes to laws, regulations, policies, and procedures affecting the import and export trade in wine,
- Developing bilateral training sessions and seminars for technical and scientific staff,
- Exchanging information with a view to developing cooperative laboratory testing procedures, and
- Exchanging information on wine counterfeiting and smuggling cases