TTB Press Release
|April 5, 2018
For Immediate Release
TTB Proposes Multiple Viticultural Area Actions
Washington, D.C. – On Friday, April 6, 2018, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) will publish three notices of proposed rulemaking in the Federal Register proposing various actions concerning American viticultural areas (AVAs). These documents and the actions they propose are:
- Notice No. 172, Proposed Expansion of the Arroyo Seco Viticultural Area: In this notice, TTB proposes to expand the existing 18,240-acre "Arroyo Seco" AVA in Monterey County, California, by approximately 90 acres. The existing Arroyo Seco AVA and the proposed expansion area are both located within the existing Monterey AVA and the multi-county Central Coast AVA.
- Notice No. 173, Proposed Expansion of the Monticello Viticultural Area: In this notice, TTB proposes to expand the existing 1,320-square mile "Monticello" AVA in portions of Albemarle, Green, Nelson, and Orange Counties, Virginia, by approximately 166 square miles. The proposed expansion would extend the AVA boundary into Fluvanna County, Virginia. The existing AVA and the proposed expansion area are not located within any other AVAs.
- Notice No. 175, Proposed Establishment of the Van Duzer Corridor Viticultural Area: In this notice, TTB proposes to establish the new, approximately 59,871-acre "Van Duzer Corridor" AVA in portions of Polk and Yamhill Counties, Oregon. The proposed AVA is located within the existing Willamette Valley AVA. Also in this notice, TTB proposes to clarify the boundary description of the adjacent Eola-Amity Hills viticultural area.
TTB is making these three proposals in response to petitions filed on behalf of local wine industry members. TTB designates viticultural areas to allow vintners to better describe the origin of their wines and to allow consumers to better identify wines they may purchase.
After the proposed rules are published, you may submit comments on them and view copies of the proposed rules, selected supporting materials, and any comments TTB receives about them within their dockets as posted on the Regulations.gov website. Links to the dockets will be posted on the TTB website's Wine NPRM page (https://www.ttb.gov/wine/wine-rulemaking.shtml) under their Notice numbers.
Alternatively, written comments may be submitted to one of these addresses:
- U.S. Mail: Director, Regulations and Rulings Division, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, 1310 G Street NW., Box 12, Washington, DC 20005; or
- Hand delivery/courier in lieu of mail: Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, 1310 G Street, NW., Suite 400, Washington, DC 20005.
Comments on these proposals must be received on or before June 5, 2018.
Page last reviewed: November 14, 2018
Page last updated: November 14, 2018
Maintained by: Office of Congressional and Public Affairs