Using SDS to Manufacture Articles
- Obtain an Industrial Alcohol User Permit (Form 5150.22) in order to manufacture articles.
- There are three (3) types of proprietors:
- Manufacturer or User
- Distilled Spirits Plant (DSP)
- Permits are issued through the application services function of the National Revenue Center.
- This can be done prior to or concurrently with applying for formula approval
- Choose the appropriate formula in 27 CFR parts 20 and 21.
- There are three (3) options:
- General-use formula
- SDA/SDR formula
- CDA formula
- When choosing a formula, it must be:
- Suitable for the intended use;
- Free of restrictions that would prevent its use in a particular process; and
- Approved in TTB's regulations.
- Apply for and obtain TTB formula approval on TTB Form 5150.19 or in Formulas Online before manufacturing, except when using general-use formulas or CDA.
- Requirements for Approval:
- The use of additional chemicals and/or essentials oils to ensure that the finished liquid article cannot be reclaimed or diverted to beverage use.
- The additional chemicals and/or essentials oils cannot be easily separated from the ethanol.
- Ideally the article should contain a warning odor, color, and/or taste.