Obtaining Samples of Specially Denatured Spirits
Persons who have applied for or are considering applying for a permit to use specially denatured spirits (SDS) may obtain samples of SDS for experimental purposes or for preparing samples of finished articles as required by 27 CFR §20.92.
- Samples of SDS may only be obtained from distilled spirits plants or dealers.
- Samples not larger than five gallons per calendar year may be obtained without a permit.
- When the SDS is obtained from a dealer, the dealer shall maintain records to ensure that samples of SDS dispensed to nonpermittees do not exceed five gallons per calendar year.
- Samples larger than five gallons per calendar year may be obtained without a permit by following the procedure outlined in 27 CFR §20.252.
- Samples of SDS shall not be used to manufacture articles for commercial sale.