Reagent Alcohol (27 CFR § 20.117)
- Contains 95 gallons SDA Formula 3A and 5 gallons of isopropyl alcohol;
- Water may be added at the time of manufacture;
- May not contain any other ingredients; and
- May be treated as either an article or SDA.
Reagent alcohol is treated as an article when:
- Distributed exclusively to laboratories or those who need it for scientific use in containers not exceeding 4 liters;
- Distributed exclusively to laboratories or those who need it for scientific use in containers larger than 4 liters when qualified to receive bulk shipments;
- Distributed in containers larger than 4 liters to bona fide laboratory supply houses or other persons qualified to receive bulk shipments for packaging and resale to qualified users; and
- Distributed to an SDS dealer in any size container for repackaging and redistribution.
Reagent alcohol is treated as SDA when it is used for the purpose of manufacturing, and then the following requirements apply:
- A person receiving the reagent alcohol holds a permit as an SDA user; and
- A person receiving the reagent alcohol has received formula approval on TTB Form 5150.19 or electronically through Formulas Online to use reagent alcohol in manufacturing; and
- A person treats the reagent alcohol as SDA and not an article.